- Home
- /
- High Courts
- /
- Madras High Court
- /
- Why Not Block Non-Consensual...
Why Not Block Non-Consensual Intimate Content Online Like Anti-India URLs Were Blocked During Op Sindoor? Madras High Court Asks Centre
Upasana Sajeev
5 Aug 2025 5:30 PM IST
The Madras High Court, on Tuesday, asked the Central Government to consider the possibility of blocking websites which host non-consensual intimate images and prevent their resurfacing, in the same manner as was done at the time of Operation Sindoor. “Nation is but a conglomerate of citizens. Every citizen is as important as the country itself. The effort we took for Operation...
The Madras High Court, on Tuesday, asked the Central Government to consider the possibility of blocking websites which host non-consensual intimate images and prevent their resurfacing, in the same manner as was done at the time of Operation Sindoor.
“Nation is but a conglomerate of citizens. Every citizen is as important as the country itself. The effort we took for Operation Sindoor should be used even if it is for a single citizen,” the court orally remarked.
Justice Anand Venkatesh noted that in the aftermath of Operation Sindoor, the Central Government had blocked over 1400 URLs that contained adverse references/misinformation/propaganda campaigns against Operation Sindoor and prevented it from resurfacing. The court said that the expert committee constituted by the Centre could take the same approach and block the sites in which the non-consensual intimate images of women were being published.
“The first respondent (Meity) has constituted a committee of experts and has been given the terms of reference. Hence, the committee can take the present case as a test case and ensure that all video links are blocked and not allowed to resurface. If the committee is successful in this mission, the same module could be used in all the other cases. The committee can also take into consideration the method taken to block anti-India URLs during Operation Sindoor. The solution must be found at the earliest since it involves the dignity of women, which has to be safeguarded under Article 21 of the Constitution,” the court said.
The court was dealing with a petition filed by a young woman advocate seeking direction to the Ministry to act upon her representation and take all appropriate measures to block and remove her intimate photos and videos, which were uploaded online by her former partner without consent. The court had previously asked MeiTy to take down all such photos and videos within 48 hours. The court had also asked the Ministry to explain the steps to be taken by a victim girl when her intimate photos/videos are posted online without consent.
Advocate A Kumaraguru, Senior Panel Counsel appearing for Meity, informed the court that the Ministry has taken up the issue seriously and has formed a Committee to deal with the issue. Kumaraguru also informed the court that the committee would ensure that the sites, which have been pointed out, are effectively blocked and prevented from resurfacing. The court was also informed that a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) will also be brought in.
Senior Advocate Abudu Kumar, appearing for the petitioner, informed the court that despite blocking the six video links that contained the intimate images/videos, 13 more video links had resurfaced. The court lamented that the case was like Ravana's head, where every time it was cut, the head grew again.
“Imagine the plight of the girl. We're violating Article 21 minute by minute. The attempt to protect the right to dignity is being defeated. We're not able to bring a closure to this,” the judge remarked orally.
The court thus asked the committee formulated by Meity to look into the issue and consider using the same methods used at the time of Operation Sindoor.
Case Title: X. v The Union of India and Another
Case No: WP 25017 of 2025